Trish in London

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Maybe I'll just ignore my Visa bill when it comes...

Day 2.

After falling asleep around 10pm on my first night, I woke up at the stunningly late hour of 2:30am and proceeded to be awake for the remainder of the night. I went for my hotel brekkie around 7am (when they open) since I was awake. I took a very slight nap afterwards as I had a ticket booked for Madame Tussaud's for 10am. I dressed and attempted not to look completely bleary as I felt and made it down. They've changed it somewhat since last time I was there (which is good, it would be boring otherwise). I took my photo with Hugh Grant and one with a very special friend for Kayla (you have to try and guess which one!). Britney Spears was pole dancing and I guessed it was just practicing for her future trailer trash status...oh wait, what am I saying I future for...

Anywho, I thought I should go and get my London Pass and start sightseeing as I seemed to have gotten a second wind by that point (more like a second breeze, but I'll explain later). After I picked that up I meandered along and ended up in Trafalger Square right by the National Portrait Gallery. Oh, I also found the Canadian Embassy, it's right on Trafalger Square. So I thought I would check out the Portrait Gallery, especially since one of da Vinci's paintings that's mentioned in the book is in there (Virgin on the Rocks, yup I saw it). I got yelled at by a security guard for taking photos (with the flash off, the flash is what damages the paintings). After wandering through about 4 of the exhibits my second breeze disappeared and I thought rather than drooling on the priceless works of art, I would head back to my hotel and take a nap.

After a short 3 hour nap and lunch. I made my way back down to Picadilly Circus to catch Hayfever by Noel Coward at the Haymarket theatre. This is the production starring Dame Judi Dench. The show is of course sold out, but they have this great thing called a returns queue and the premise is simple. If someone returns their tickets, they offer them to the folks in the line at face value, cash only. Thankfully this very nice couple, who I sat with of course, had a spare ticket and were willing to take my £45 instead of the £50 that they bought it for. It was worth every penny. The show was amazing. Such a nice change to see things that aren't Citadel productions (not that they're bad, I'm not slagging my work!). Just to have the chance to see Judi Dench perform live was a such a treat and I will always cherish it.

Day 3

After coming to my senses and remembering my mom had given me gravol-esque tablets so I could try and sleep on the plane, I thought perhaps I should try it on dry land. It worked, I slept a full 8+ hours and woke up to the cleaning staff trying to come in at 8:20 this morning.

Today I went to Notting Hill Gate and down the Portabello Road Market. If anyone has seen the Disney flick Bedknobs & Broomsticks they know the song about the market. It's like a giant farmers'/flea market and you could buy someone's mother I'm sure if the price was right. There were tons of antique stalls and knock off purses and such. I wished that I had the ability to cook in my hotel, the fruit and veg looked so amazing and smelled wonderful. I also found this nifty little bead shop down there too, so I spent way to much money on beads.

A little side note here. If you are planning to come to London, remember, it's a tourist town, they will bleed you dry. The prices don't look so bad, but multiply it by 2 and you'll realize what I mean. I've spent $180 canadian just on theatre tickets for 2 shows.

But I digress. After the market I headed to Earl's Court where they are having an exhibition called Bodies. It's basically plastinated people parts on display. This isn't the same one that caused all of the controversy a few years ago by putting the people in poses and stuff, but it's the same sort of idea to use as a teaching tool about the human body. Most of the bodies were men, there were lots of plastinated privates and such.

After jetting around there, I headed back to Picadilly Circus to try and get a ticket to Mamma Mia!. That show has it's own bouncer. They have the doors roped off and don't let you near without a ticket already in hand, probably cause it's always sold out. Thankfully, there was a gentleman scalping outside and I spent another £45 to see the show. Totally worth it! I don't think there was a person who wasn't singing and dancing along by the end.

When I finish posting this, I'm heading up the street to the Phoenix theatre to try and get in to see Blood Brothers, my most favorite show. And I definitely don't want to see my Visa bill...

1 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger A Vole said…

    That's awesome!

    I think pan should get it's own bouncer ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home