Trish in London

Thursday, May 18, 2006

And I'm finally here!

After much trepidation, I have finally arrived! My flight was delayed arriving in Calgary from Vancouver. The 25 minute departure delay ended up being almost an hour departure delay, and thusly, we arrived at Gatwick about 45 minutes later than we were scheduled. For those of you at home, it was almost 4am. For me, almost 11am. And I wish it had been as simple as and then she checked into her hotel and went to sleep. Walked almost 1km to passport lineup and waited for a man to ask me questions when I could barely remember my own name. Then to baggage claim to watch a hypnotizing track of neverending luggage that wasn't mine. And a good side note here, if any of you plan to travel, DO NOT lock your suitcase. I saw a couple that had been cut open because of locks, glad I didn't do that to mine! After walking another km out of the arrivals gate, had to take 1/2 hour train to London. Hotel Link was great, I didn't have to worry about transfers for trains or anything. After the train trip and finally getting on the minibus (boy you thought the drivers were crazy there! It's not only the drivers though, it's the pedestrians.) we took another 1/2 hour through the city streets until we got to the Royal National Hotel. Checked in at 1pm finally. My room is pretty good, it has 2 twin beds, so when my other personality or my imaginary friend comes by, they have a place to sleep. My only real problem is with the shower and the fact that it's made for people under 5 feet tall. You have to be a contortionist practically to wash your hair which is really fun, but all good other than that. I just had dinner at a little hole in the wall Italian restaurant near my hotel. I spent my dinner listening to these 3 characters who could have been straight out of a film. The one older gent is divorcing his wife and was supposed to meet his lawyer, his soon to be ex, and another gent, who may have been another lawyer. His lawyer showed and I had heard him on his mobile with the other gent. He gave them explicit directions and then became miffed when they didn't show when they said they would. Then he sees them and she has gone to a restaurant on the other corner and is using the 2nd gent (who seems like a kindly soul, kind of a lost puppy) as a go between. I couldn't have written better dialogue myself.

So that's it for day one. I'm heading back to the hotel and gonna watch some telly and plot my world domination...I mean, my day tomorrow (forget I said anything!!!! I mean it!!!!) and hopefully I will have more colorful characters for you!

Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home